error writing packet (Error -5 writing packet data to BAP)

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Fri Aug 3 12:53:06 EST 2001

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 06:55:17PM -0100, Andrey Schmiegelow wrote:

> I'm having exactly the same problem.
> I'm using orinoco_cs on kernel 2.4.7 with the last orinoco patches applied, but
> this problem happened with original kernel 2.4.6 and 2.4.7.
> It seems to happen when a large amount of data is transmitted (I'm not sure).
>
> My card is a Orinoco silver IEEE 802.11 / 11Mbits / firmware 7.52 ( I also tested
> with firmware 7.48)
>
> Does anyone knows what means this error message?

Sadly, no.  It is an error reported by the firmware/hardware when
accessing the card's memory.  I haven't been able to figure out what
causes it, other than that it happens more under heavy load.  As it is
we already retry the failing operation 10 times before printing the
message - this reduces the number of such errors to a tolerable level
most of the time.  Possibly the number of retries should be increased,
but I have avoided doing this so far in the hope that I could find out
what is really causing them and avoid them in a less haphazard way.

--
David Gibson			| Microsoft: Making the easy things hard
david at gibson.dropbear.id.au	| and the hard things buggy