Addtron AWS-110 Wireless Access Point configuration

Jean Tourrilhes jt at bougret.hpl.hp.com
Wed Aug 1 12:01:14 EST 2001

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 01:57:00AM -0700, David Mosberger-Tang wrote:
> Not sure this is a suitable place to mail this to, but I thought some
> of the list members might find it useful: I recently bought a wireless
> solution from Addtron, partially because Linux compatibility was
> advertised for the AWP-110.  That turned out to be the case, but
> unfortunately, the Access Point (AWS-110) requires Windows if you want
> to modify the default configuration.  Since I didn't have the right
> combination of Windows and USB hardware, I instead reverse-engineered
> how the SNMP configuration works.  I probably didn't get everything
> right as my knowledge of wireless LANs and SNMP is very limited, but
> the result can be found at:
>
> 	http://www.mostang.com/~davidm/aws110.html
>
> Perhaps it's useful for others.

	Surely. I'm forwarding it to Jon Sevy who did the Java
Airport/RG1000 configurator, he should be interested (or at least link
to your page).
		http://gicl.mcs.drexel.edu/people/sevy//airport/

> One oddity: I'm not sure 100% WEP really works in my configuration.
> On the laptop, I have "dot11PrivacyInvoked" turned on and "AuthType"
> is set to "sharedkey".  However, unless I turn off
> "dot11ExcludeUnencrypted", the laptop can't receive any traffice from
> the AWS-110, though the other direction works fine.  It sounds as if
> the traffic from the AWS-110 to the laptop is not encrypted.  It could
> well be that the traffic isn't encrypted in both direction, but I'm
> not sure how to tell.  What I do know is that the key values do
> matter: if I set them wrong, then communication doesn't work at all,
> so clearly *something* is working.  Anyone have any insight into this?

	It's may be because you are using a Lucent card. I've got
problem between my D-Link card and a Lucent AP, and I don't want to
blame the PrismII MAC too fast. If you want, you can grab my D-Link
card in my cube.

> Thanks,
>
> 	--david

	Thanks, and have fun...