Login problems with SMB clients

Akshay Chadha akshay at photojunction.com
Tue Sep 5 00:37:51 GMT 2006

Hi there,

We have 3 sites. We are having an Open Directory Master with Windows
Services set to Primary Domain Controller on the subnet 192.168.1.x
(Site 1). We have also setup Open Directory Replicas with Windows
Services to be Backup Domain Controllers on subnets 192.168.2.x and
192.168.3.x (SIte 2 and 3). All the servers are Xserves on v10.4.

All our Windows SMB clients log on to the domain and everything is
working well.

Heres the problem:

Say we are on the subnet which hosts BDC ( ie. 192.168.2.x and
192.168.3.x). Now, if somehow there is a network problem and we lose
our connectivity to 192.168.1.x network (which has PDC), then our
Windows clients are unable to login locally using the BDC.

The Windows SMB clients are always trying to get login information
from PDC which is fine,  but if the PDC cannot be reached, then they
DO NOT login using the BDC which is held locally at the other 2
sites. Therefore, our Windows Clients are UNABLE to login at all even
though the BDC is located locally on the network.

Any advice on how we can get Windows SMB clients to login using BDC
will be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks
Akshay