Issue betwee Samba 3.0.3-5 and Window XP Pro

philippe.bertin at telenet.be philippe.bertin at telenet.be
Thu Mar 24 19:07:45 GMT 2005

Yeo,

You tell that you have 3 computers. However, I seem to remember from one
of your previous postings that you had the smb.conf option
hosts allow=192.168.1.0 192.168.1.1

This means, only 2 computers (with the mentioned IP addresses) can
possibly connect to your samba share. Shouldn't the third one be
included in this list too ? Because if it is not included in the list of
valid allowed computers, it will never be possible to connect. Now that
I look more precisely to your previous posting, I see that indeed the
problematic computer has IP address 192.168.1.122, so that may very well
be your problem ...

To try if this is your case, you could change the setting to
hosts allow=192.168.1.0/24
then restart samba, and have a new trial ... If it's OK, then align your
DNS server's allocatable IP address range to your samba server allowed
host addresses, and you'll be on your way forever (at least, on your
Linux machine. I don't garantee anything on your Windows clients, though  ;)

Kind regards,

PhB