[Samba] Samba rsync integration

contactdarin at posteo.net contactdarin at posteo.net
Fri May 31 03:26:04 UTC 2024

 Hello Samba mailing list,

I have been really digging into Samba AD and active Directory internal
workings. It occurs to me that I could store rsync replication
information inside of the ldap domain. I am still learning ldap but
theoretically it should be a matter of extending the schema to include a
rsync key and network path. It could be configured so that the the Samba
DC with the FSMO role will automatically startup rsync as a server. From
there all the of the other domain controllers could read the ldap data
and then run rsync to pull from the fsmo master.

As anyone tried this or is this something that has been considered?
Samba already works with NTP and this theoretically wouldn't be any
different. It would add complexity and would require that the domain
controllers have rsync.

What do you think,

Darin