[Samba] Accessing guest Samba shares from Windows 10/11 without hacks

Artem S. Tashkinov aros at gmx.com
Tue May 28 00:03:23 UTC 2024

Hello,

I'm quite concerned that in order to access guest Samba shares in
Windows 10 you have to enable Insecure Guest Logons for the Lanman
Workstation and in Windows 11 you even need to disable "Digitally Sign
Communications".

I've scoured through the entire smb.conf man page, tried the options
that looked appropriate, nothing worked.

Is there a simple SoHo samba configuration that works for W10/W11
clients? I don't want to use Samba as a DC or anything like that.

I'm using Samba 4.20.1.

Here's where I posted the solution but again I'd like to avoid doing that:

https://superuser.com/questions/1843566/windows-11-enterprise-samba-access-error

My configuration is simple:

[global]
     workgroup = WORKGROUP