[Samba] Can't join AD

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 22 16:49:38 UTC 2024

On Wed, 22 May 2024 17:59:48 +0200
lists--- via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello list,
>
> I can't find the mistake causing the problem ... maybe you do.
> A Windows 2022 Server can't join the AD.
>
> Debian Bookworm
> Samba Version: 4.19.6-Debian
> ip: 192.168.10.11
>
> Windows Server 2022
> ip: 192.168.10.15
> subnet: 255.255.255.0
> gateway: 192.168.10.1 -> FritzBox
> 1st DNS: 192.168.10.11
> 2nd DNS: 192.168.10.12 -> dc02
>
> When entering the domain-name to the "member of domain"-field, and
> then using administrator with the (working!) password, I get a
> "Networkpath not found"-message (its translated from german).
>
> When doing a:
> nslookup dc01.praxis.domain.tld
> on the Windos-system it jumps to the gateway (its a FritzBox), and
> tries to resolve dc01.praxis.domain.tld on the internet.

First, if you are going to sanitise your dns domain, please do it
everywhere, otherwise it gets confusing. I take it that
'praxis.domain.tld' is really 'praxis.dr-ts.de'. If this is the case,
then there doesn't seem to anything wrong on the Linux side, apart from
the 'dns forwarder' on the DC, that appears to be forwarding to itself,
when it should be another dns server outside the AD domain e.g. googles
8.8.8.8

Your problem appears to be on the Windows machine, it shouldn't be
using the fritzbox at all, it should be using the Samba DC, you need to
find out why this happening.

Or to put it another way, it's the DNS.

Rowland