[Samba] No RID Set found for this server. Can't self-allocate

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue May 21 19:59:04 UTC 2024

On Tue, 2024-05-21 at 18:24 +0200, Felipe Martínez Hermo via samba
wrote:
> Hello, everybody.
>

> I have a Samba domain spread over 19 offices, 5 of them have a
> domain
> controller of their own.
>
> Some of these DC work fine now that I have a quite homogeneous set
> of
> samba versions. Most of them are Debian 11 with samba 4.17.
>
> The last two DC added (in different offices) have joined the domain
> without problems, but both have the same problem. The can't find a
> RID set:
>
> No RID Set found for this server: CN=COR-DC2,OU=Domain
> Controllers,DC=my,DC=domain, and we are not the RID Master (so can
> not
> self-allocate)
>
> This means that they can't create any new objects, so every time I
> need
> to add a new computer or create a user, I have to take down these
> servers and let the objects be created on the "healthy" servers.

I suspect the new servers can't reach the RID master.

Once the servers can reach the RID Master, try creating a user again,
it may fail but should trigger getting a RID pool.

Sadly we don't seem to have a way to trigger this manually with a
samba-tool DRS command, which is an oversight.

> I have checked Andrew's answer here:
>
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2018-May/215621.html
>

> He says that they eventually they will find a RID set, but it has
> been
> long enough and they don't seem to get a RID set.

The note about join-time is correct, except it is possible to join
without creating a RID set, if you didn't happen to join to the RID
master.  (But we reduced these errors significantly by making it as
proactive as possible).

Andrew Bartlett

Samba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba
Catalyst.Net Ltd

Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group
company

Samba Development and Support: https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Catalyst IT - Expert Open Source Solutions