[Samba] Adding group policy ability

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 07:30:33 UTC 2024

Op 19-06-2024 om 08:42 schreef lists--- via samba:
> Good morning list :)
>
> currently I don't need a group policy, but maybe that will change in
> the future - so I'd like to install its ability right now.
>
> As far as I understand https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Group_Policy I
> have to execute:
> samba-tool gpo admxload -U Administrator
> (and samba-tool gpo admxload -H ldap://dcXYZ.samdom.example.com -U
> Administrator on additional DCs).
This will load Samba's ADMX files from where the distro installs them
onto sysvol. Handy for the settings Samba provides, but those are mainly
for GPOs on Linux.

> Not clear is:
> which Microsoft's ADMX templates for which MS-Server version?
> There're only MS-Windows Server 2016 and MS-Windows Server 2008/R2
> listed, but no eg. 2016, 2019 or 2022 ...
> Plus another question on this: _if_ I have install the ADMX eg. for
> 2022, does I have to install those ADMX-versions on every MS quarterly
> H-update pack again?

You only need to cover the settings you are using in your GPOs with ADMX
files that define those settings. As long as you don't change your GPOs
(and add new settings), there is no need to update the ADMX files.

If you use Windows tooling (admc) to  create GPOs, it will read the ADMX
files from your sysvol to create the UI. So not updating ADMX files
implies that you will never see the latest settings and hence you will
not use them :-)

I hard ever upgrade them.

- Kees.