[Samba] move domain member server to new hardware

Stefan G. Weichinger lists at xunil.at
Thu Jun 6 17:51:21 UTC 2024

Am 31.05.24 um 14:38 schrieb Luis Peromarta via samba:
> I’d get the new server ready, sync all data including xattrs & ACLs with rsync -AXav
>
> You probably use AD or RID. Just use the same idmapping on the new server. Probably just copy old smb.conf to new machine.
>
> When all is rsynced just remove the old server from the AD, turn off, assign name and IP address to new server. Join domain. That should do.
>
> If all goes very wrong you can just power on your old server , and rejoin. Things should be as before.

thank you, sounds not that scary ;-)

what about the fqdn in linux itself? I can't change that hostname on the
old server until I deactivate it. It should stay some kind of fallback
server (with another fqdn and IP) later.

I am using ansible (with the debops roles) to configure the servers, I
will see if I can easily reconfigure the name between turning off the
old hardware and enabling the services on the new hardware.

Or just don't care that much about the linux FQDN and set a different
server name in smb.conf ?