[Samba] Samba suddenly acting strangely

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jun 4 15:29:21 UTC 2024

On Tue, 4 Jun 2024 09:56:35 +0200
Andrea Venturoli via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 5/25/24 10:20, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
>
> > There doesn't seem to be anything really wrong with your smb.conf
> > files, but it does seem that not only are you having problems with
> > different Samba fileservers, you are also having problems with
> > different domains.
>
> Yes.
> Probably I wasn't clear: I've seen this in different setups at
> different customers'. Although very similar, they are all unrelated
> to each other.
>

> > I am now wondering if it is some interaction between Freebsd
> > and Samba.
>
> I thought this too.
>

> > Could you replace (temporarily) one of your fileservers with
> > one running on Debian 12 with Samba from backports, if the problem
> > persists, it is a Samba problem and Samba should be able to fix it.
>
> Sorry, but I don't think this is the way to go:
> _ first I'd need to check if I have resources to bring up a VM, move
> several TBs of data into it; unfortunately the answer would probably
> be "no" in most sites;
> _ in any case it would be some big modification to the systems;
> _ then I'd need to wait (for 2 months? 6 months? 1 year?) in order to
> see if the problem comes back; in any case I'd have no certainity;
> _ even if I concluded this is a FreeBSD problem (which is probable),
> I'd have no clue to what the cause is, so I'd be back to the start.

I understand your stance, you are damned if you do and damned if you
don't.

The problem from my viewpoint is, the people using Samba on Freebsd is
likely to get smaller. I say this because iXsystems is moving away from
Freebsd to Debian and they employ the guy that seems to fix most (if
not all) of the Samba/Freebsd problems. I know that iXsystems say they
are going to support Freebsd going forward, but it is more than likely
going to be on a much reduced basis, but who knows ?

> I'd rather try and see if I can get some info through gdb or logs.

Good luck.

Rowland