[Samba] Samba suddenly acting strangely

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Tue Jun 4 07:56:35 UTC 2024

> There doesn't seem to be anything really wrong with your smb.conf
> files, but it does seem that not only are you having problems with
> different Samba fileservers, you are also having problems with
> different domains.

Yes.
Probably I wasn't clear: I've seen this in different setups at different
customers'. Although very similar, they are all unrelated to each other.

> I am now wondering if it is some interaction between Freebsd
> and Samba.

I thought this too.

> Could you replace (temporarily) one of your fileservers with
> one running on Debian 12 with Samba from backports, if the problem
> persists, it is a Samba problem and Samba should be able to fix it.

Sorry, but I don't think this is the way to go:
_ first I'd need to check if I have resources to bring up a VM, move
several TBs of data into it; unfortunately the answer would probably be
"no" in most sites;
_ in any case it would be some big modification to the systems;
_ then I'd need to wait (for 2 months? 6 months? 1 year?) in order to
see if the problem comes back; in any case I'd have no certainity;
_ even if I concluded this is a FreeBSD problem (which is probable), I'd
have no clue to what the cause is, so I'd be back to the start.

I'd rather try and see if I can get some info through gdb or logs.

  bye & Thanks
	av.