[Samba] Weird folders / files after upgrading to Samba 4.20

Matthias Kühne | Ellerhold Aktiengesellschaft matthias.kuehne at ellerhold.de
Fri Jul 26 06:51:48 UTC 2024

Hello,

the problem seemingly does not happen again. Ive got a theory and I'll
need your expertise to verify or deny it:

In another thread Rowland (or slow?) said, that restarting smbd DOES NOT
restart all the little process that smbd has spawned. E. g. the RPC
processes, the individual smb-connection-processes ??

So after an Upgrade (4.19 to 4.20) how does the debian package restart
samba? Just via systemctl restart smbd? Does that mean that the main
process (smbd) is running in a new version (4.20), but the helper
process are still running the code (4.19.x)?

Now if the helper process talks with the main process, its usually
binary via an socket - and a version mismatch MAY lead to such weird
problems.

Is this scenario possible or did I misunderstand something? Safe from
restarting the whole machine - what can I do to make sure that ALL samba
processes are restarted?

Weve got one fileserver where this problems happened a lot - which I had
to downgrade to make it work again. Ill try upgrading this server
tonight incl. restarting the whole machine and we'll see if the problem
re-emerges.

Any input on this theory of mine is appreciated - thanks!

Regards, Matthias.

Am 19.07.24 um 07:10 schrieb Matthias Kühne | Ellerhold
Aktiengesellschaft via samba:

--
Senior Webentwickler
Datenschutzbeauftragter

Ellerhold Aktiengesellschaft
Friedrich-List-Str. 4
01445 Radebeul

Telefon: +49 (0) 351 83933-61
Web: www.ellerhold.de
Facebook: www.facebook.com/ellerhold.gruppe
Instagram: www.instagram.com/ellerhold.gruppe
LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/ellerhold-gruppe

Amtsgericht Dresden / HRB 23769
Vorstand: Stephan Ellerhold, Maximilian Ellerhold
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Frank Ellerhold

---Diese E-Mail und Ihre Anlagen enthalten vertrauliche Mitteilungen. Sollten Sie nicht der beabsichtigte Adressat sein, so bitten wir Sie um Mitteilung und um sofortiges löschen dieser E-Mail und der Anlagen.

Unsere Hinweise zum Datenschutz finden Sie hier: http://www.ellerhold.de/datenschutz/

This e-mail and its attachments are privileged and confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us and immediately delete this e-mail and its attachments.

You can find our privacy policy here: http://www.ellerhold.de/datenschutz/