[Samba] new DC via clone..

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jul 24 09:31:26 UTC 2024

On Wed, 24 Jul 2024 09:01:54 +0200
Joachim Lindenberg via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hello Rowland, all of Samba,
>
> imho the fact that one cannot simply replace parts of samba is a
> severe restriction to analyze and fix issues. I decided to compile
> the exact same version that was in place, and ran into issues.

Well yes, but you seemingly didn't compile Samba in the same way as
your original installed Samba.

> Imho Samba should have instructions on how to compile a version
> matching the installed version and configuration. Figuring out the
> delta between the two configurations is beyond my current knowledge.

And mine.

> My goal was very, very simple. In line 630 of
> source4/samba/process_prefork.c I wanted to add the service name in
> order to make visible, what service failed: DBG_ERR("Parent %d, Child
> %d, Service %s exited with status %d\n", getpid(), pid,
> rc->service_name, status);

Whilst this sounds very easy to do, to do it correctly you would need
to know just where 'process_prefork.c' ends up, what particular part of
Samba uses it, once that is known, you could just replace that
particular piece of Samba, provided everything else is compiled exactly
in the same way, I don't think that would be easy. The easiest way
would be to rebuild your distros Samba package sources using your
slight change and then install the resultant Samba packages over your
install.

Rowland