[Samba] new DC via clone..

Luis Peromarta lperoma at icloud.com
Mon Jul 22 14:12:22 UTC 2024

It’s not only Samba.

When cloning a Linux virtual machine (or metal machine), it’s essential to ensure that the new clone is treated as a distinct machine by cleaning or clearing several key components.

At least that I can think of.

1. **MAC Address**:
 - Update the network interface card(s) MAC address in your VM management software to avoid network conflicts.

2. **Machine ID**:
 - Clear or regenerate the machine ID located in files such as `/etc/machine-id` or `/var/lib/dbus/machine-id`.

3. **UUIDs**:
 - Update the UUIDs used in system files like `/etc/fstab` and in the bootloader configuration. Generate new UUIDs for unique identification.

4. **SSH Host Keys**:
 - Remove the existing SSH host keys and generate new ones to ensure unique cryptographic identities for secure connections.

5. **Hostname**:
 - Change the hostname to a new, unique name to prevent network conflicts and ensure clarity in network management.

6. **Network Configuration**:
 - Adjust the network settings to ensure there are no static IP addresses or network configurations that conflict with the original machine.

7. **Log Files**:
 - Clear out old log files to remove any traces of the previous machine’s activities and start with a clean slate.

8. **Persistent Rules**:
 - If your distribution uses udev for persistent naming of devices (like network interfaces), update or clear these rules to avoid conflicts.

This is too much work. Deploying a Debian + Samba VM or metal machine is 20m. On a LXC container, 5m.

I just can’t see the advantage.