[Samba] State of chmod support for Samba 4.20.x

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jul 17 12:01:36 UTC 2024

On Wed, 17 Jul 2024 13:18:54 +0200
Erwin Hoffmann via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> Hi together,
>
> after the milestone release of Samba 4.20 supporting again Unix Posix
> semantics, I'm wondering 'what is the state of chmod support' here
> (and planned for future releases).
>
> Currently, the file permissions are not changeable by the user having
> mounted the share (ie. by mount_smb). I understand, that this also
> depends on the capability of the cifs.ko on the Linux client (not to
> talk about gvfs -- different beast).

When you mount a share on Linux, the mount is carried out by root, so
to change the permissions, you must do it as root or with sudo. This
has nothing to do with Samba and everything to do with cifs.ko

Having said that, if the computer is domain joined, you can use
'sec=krb5' and 'multiuser', in this scenario, users can change
permissions.

Rowland