[Samba] dbcheck gets uncaught exception

Heiko Robert heiko.samba.info at ecm4u.de
Tue Jul 16 19:52:14 UTC 2024

Dear samba experts,

I run a samba-ad (Version 4.15.13-Ubuntu) for a small organisation since
several years without issues so far (originally instanciated by a QNAP
system, then moved years ago to a separate Ubuntu Server via ad
replication and then demoting the original ad from qnap)

Now I realized that there are issues while trying to join a second AD.

So I tried a `samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs` on the main server but
just got an uncaught exception on CN=Deleted Objects. Does this mean I
need to delete these objects manually using tdbtool or what would be the
best way to fix this?
hint: the zone 192.168.11 had beed deleted manually via RSAT DNS tool
end of last year.

output from dbcheck command:

NOTE: old (due to rename or delete) DN string component for
lastKnownParent in object
DC=35\0ADEL:051e3f6a-94ee-4cd1-be44-07fb811b216a,CN=Deleted
Objects,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=company,DC=intra -
DC=11.168.192.in-addr.arpa,CN=MicrosoftDNS,DC=DomainDnsZones,DC=company,DC=intra
Not fixing old string component
ERROR(ldb): uncaught exception - ldb_wait from (null) with LDB_WAIT_ALL:
Operations error (1)
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/__init__.py", line
186, in _run
     return self.run(*args, **kwargs)
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/netcmd/dbcheck.py", line
169, in run
     error_count = chk.check_database(DN=DN, scope=search_scope,
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/dbchecker.py", line 255,
in check_database
     error_count += self.check_object(object.dn, requested_attrs=attrs)
   File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/samba/dbchecker.py", line 2310,
in check_object
     res = self.samdb.search(base=dn, scope=ldb.SCOPE_BASE,

Before you ask: Yes I have backups but only for 1 month and I guess the
inconsistency may exist since years or at least months but nobody realized.

Since there are only a view entries in the DNS partition: would it be an
option to recreate / replace just the DNS database
('DC=DOMAINDNSZONES,DC=COMPANY,DC=INTRA.ldb')?

Many Thanks in advance for any hint and help

Heiko