[Samba] ipv6 with Samba-AD-DC?

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 11 15:45:01 UTC 2024

On Thu, 11 Jul 2024 16:42:52 +0200
Björn JACKE via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:

> On 2024-02-16 at 09:53 +0000 Rowland Penny via samba sent off:
> > > Rowland believes that one should not use IPv6 internally. Many
> > > disagree.
> >
> > That isn't strictly true, It isn't that I believe that you shouldn't
> > use IPv6 internally, I just don't see the point in it, unless you
> > have over 16 million network clients and who has that many ?
>
> on a very similar mail I've shown a good argument for IPv6 internally
> earlier this year, see:
> https://lists.samba.org/archive/samba/2024-February/248183.html
>
> Björn

As far as I can see, you only need a client, a VPN server, the internet
and the external IP to connect to. Provided that the VPN is set up
correctly it should work and it shouldn't care whether you are
connecting to an IPv4 or IPv6 external IP. Once the VPN connection is
secure, then the internal network is irrelevant, you could use IPV4 or
IPv6, which brings me back to my earlier statement, who has over 6
million network devices internally ?

If anyone wants to use IPv6, then who am I to stop them ? I am just
stating my point of view, which is: Who needs it internally ?

Rowland