[Samba] SAMBA with IPv4/IPv6 dual stack

Bernhard Dick bernhard at bdick.de
Mon Jul 8 09:12:29 UTC 2024

Hi,

Am 03.07.24 um 09:03 schrieb Pluess, Tobias via samba:
> Good day
>
> I would like to setup a SMB file server and DC that uses IPv4 and IPv6 dual
> stack.
> However I see certain problems; for instance, when the IPv6 prefix is
> dynamic, this means the IPv6 of the DC would also dynamically change.
sounds like you want to use a prefix that is dynamically assigned from
your Internet provider for internal servers. Basically this should work,
but you need to be sure DNS is updated every time the prefix and in
result the Host IPv6 address changes. I don't think there is a
implementation within SAMBA to automatically reflect those changes as it
is not a good idea to have changing addresses on SAMBA servers.
That brings me to an alternative for internal addressing when your
assigned prefix is dynamic: Use ULA addresses for your internal
services. That works well with SAMBA.
With IPv6 it is fine (and even designed behaviour) to have multiple
addresses per interface with different routes, so your hosts can have an
ULA address for communication with your services and addresses from your
ISP assigned prefix for external communication.

> Is there something special I should consider when provisioning a SAMBA AD
> DC with IPv6, or will it "just work" ?
It just works, at least if your addresses are static. When your SAMBA
host has an ULA and dynamic external addresses I'd look that it is only
listening on the ULA address.

   Regards
     Bernhard