[Samba] Strange problem with samba-tool dns query ...

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Fri Apr 5 14:00:42 UTC 2024

On Fri, 05 Apr 2024 15:38:23 +0200
pavel.lisy at gmail.com wrote:

> On Fri, 2024-04-05 at 08:04 +0100, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> > On Fri, 05 Apr 2024 08:06:10 +0200
> > PaLi via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
> >
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I have a strange problem on a brand new installation of samba AD
> > > (samba-4.19.5 on Fedora 39).
> > >
> > > Domain controller is dc01.some.domain.org
> > > Secondary (replicated) controller is dc02.some.domain.org
> > >
> > > After clean installation all basic tests seams to be ok.
> > >
> > > All these command return correct responses:
> > >
> > > smbclient -L localhost -N
> > > smbclient //localhost/netlogon -U Administrator -c 'ls'
> > >
> > > host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.${HOSTNAME#*.}.
> > > host -t SRV _kerberos._udp.${HOSTNAME#*.}.
> > > host -t A ${HOSTNAME}.
> > >
> > > kinit Administrator
> > > klist
> > >
> > > sudo samba-tool drs showrepl
> > >
> > > sudo samba-tool user list --full-dn
> > > sudo samba-tool group list --full-dn
> > > sudo samba-tool computer list --full-dn
> > >

> > > Problem is on dc01.some.domain.org
> > > this command (and all other variants of "samba-tool dns"):
> > >
> > > sudo samba-tool dns zonelist $(hostname) -U Administrator
> > >
> > > gets stuck and returns nothing when parameter <server> is
> > > $(hostname)or$(hostname --short)
> > >
> > > when I change $(hostname) to localhost or ip address command is
> > > responding correctly.
> > >

> > > This problem is only on primary controller dc01.
> >
> > What primary controller ?
> > All DCs are equal, it is just some may have FSMO roles, this does
> > not make any a 'primary' . A 'Primary Domain Controller' is
> > something else
> > entirely.
> I mean DC installed first (dc01) by
> samba-tool domain provision ...
>
> other was joined only (dc02) by
> samba-tool domain join some.domain.org DC ...

That just makes it the first DC and nothing special.

> > > The same commands works on dc02.some.domain.org without problems.

They also work for myself on all three of my DCs.

> > > Even when I run samba-tool dns on dc02.some.domain.org with
> > > <server>
> > > dc01
> > > sudo samba-tool dns zonelist dc01 -U Administrator
> > >
> > > it returns correct results.
> > >
> > > How can I make samba-tool dns on dco1 work?
> > > What this behavior could be?
> > >

> > It sounds like DNS.
> > Can you post the contents of:
> > /etc/resolv.conf
> nameserver 192.168.90.21
> nameserver 192.168.90.3
> nameserver 192.168.90.1
> search some.domain.org

Nothing really wrong there, but you really only need to set the DCs
ipaddress as a nameserver, the others are not required.

> > /etc/hosts
> 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4
> localhost4.localdomain4
> ::1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
> 192.168.90.21 dc01.some.domain.org dc01

Again nothing wrong.

> dns resolving works without problems:
> [admin at dc01 ~]$ nslookup dc01
> Server: 192.168.90.21
> Address: 192.168.90.21#53
>
> Name:dc01.some.domain.org
> Address: 192.168.90.21
>

> on dc02 is all set similar way and it works
>

> On dc01 I've tried add line to /etc/hosts
> 192.168.90.21 dc05.some.domain.org dc05
>
> and then this command works
> sudo samba-tool dns zonelist dc05 -U Administrator

This rather points to dns, but what ?

> everything except names with dc01 works correctly.
>
> And I don't understand why.

Neither do I.

What dns server are you using ?
Bind9 or the builtin Samba internal one ?

Rowland