[Samba] Strange problem with samba-tool dns query ...

pavel.lisy at gmail.com pavel.lisy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 5 13:38:23 UTC 2024

On Fri, 2024-04-05 at 08:04 +0100, Rowland Penny via samba wrote:
> On Fri, 05 Apr 2024 08:06:10 +0200
> PaLi via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> wrote:
>
> > Hello
> >
> > I have a strange problem on a brand new installation of samba AD
> > (samba-4.19.5 on Fedora 39).
> >
> > Domain controller is dc01.some.domain.org
> > Secondary (replicated) controller is dc02.some.domain.org
> >
> > After clean installation all basic tests seams to be ok.
> >
> > All these command return correct responses:
> >
> > smbclient -L localhost -N
> > smbclient //localhost/netlogon -U Administrator -c 'ls'
> >
> > host -t SRV _ldap._tcp.${HOSTNAME#*.}.
> > host -t SRV _kerberos._udp.${HOSTNAME#*.}.
> > host -t A ${HOSTNAME}.
> >
> > kinit Administrator
> > klist
> >
> > sudo samba-tool drs showrepl
> >
> > sudo samba-tool user list --full-dn
> > sudo samba-tool group list --full-dn
> > sudo samba-tool computer list --full-dn
> >

> > Problem is on dc01.some.domain.org
> > this command (and all other variants of "samba-tool dns"):
> >
> > sudo samba-tool dns zonelist $(hostname) -U Administrator
> >
> > gets stuck and returns nothing when parameter <server> is
> > $(hostname)or$(hostname --short)
> >
> > when I change $(hostname) to localhost or ip address command is
> > responding correctly.
> >

> > This problem is only on primary controller dc01.
>
> What primary controller ?
> All DCs are equal, it is just some may have FSMO roles, this does not
> make any a 'primary' . A 'Primary Domain Controller' is something
> else
> entirely.
I mean DC installed first (dc01) by
samba-tool domain provision ...

other was joined only (dc02) by
samba-tool domain join some.domain.org DC ...

> > The same commands works on dc02.some.domain.org without problems.
> >

> > Even when I run samba-tool dns on dc02.some.domain.org with
> > <server>
> > dc01
> > sudo samba-tool dns zonelist dc01 -U Administrator
> >
> > it returns correct results.
> >
> > How can I make samba-tool dns on dco1 work?
> > What this behavior could be?
> >

> It sounds like DNS.
> Can you post the contents of:
> /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 192.168.90.21
nameserver 192.168.90.3
nameserver 192.168.90.1
search some.domain.org

> /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost4
localhost4.localdomain4
::1 localhost localhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6
192.168.90.21 dc01.some.domain.org dc01

dns resolving works without problems:
[admin at dc01 ~]$ nslookup dc01
Server: 192.168.90.21
Address: 192.168.90.21#53

Name:dc01.some.domain.org
Address: 192.168.90.21

on dc02 is all set similar way and it works

On dc01 I've tried add line to /etc/hosts
192.168.90.21 dc05.some.domain.org dc05

and then this command works
sudo samba-tool dns zonelist dc05 -U Administrator

everything except names with dc01 works correctly.

And I don't understand why.

Pavel