[Samba] Which sub version of Samba 4.19 will be considered for Debian bookworm-backports?

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Tue Sep 5 18:48:26 UTC 2023

On 05.09.2023 20:37, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:
> 05.09.2023 20:20, Peter Milesson via samba пишет:
>> Hi folks,
>> I'm just curious about which subversion of Samba 4.19 that will 
>> trickle down to Debian bookworm-backports?
>> I have a hunch I saw a note from either Rowland or Louis van Belle 
>> quite a few years back on this list, that the .0 and .1, and possibly 
>> .2 versions of Samba, are not considered stable enough for 
>> production. Please, correct me if I have got it wrong.
>> Otherwise it would be interesting to know, as I plan integration with 
>> Microsoft Azure later this year. What I understand, Microsoft has 
>> changed the requirements to at least AD forest level 2016 for that 
>> integration, while previously 2008R2 was sufficient.
> “Patience you must have, my young Padawan. Have patience and all will 
> be revealed."
> You're asking a wrong question by now.
> As you might have noticed, I already uploaded 4.19.0 to unstable. 
> Unlike with all previous
> releases in debian which were uploaded to experimental first, due to a 
> number of reasons,
> and were faced unstable at release .1 or up only.
> I'm not saying 4.19 is more stable than experimental, but let's give 
> it a try in unstable
> first and see how it goes.  Next we can decide if it's okay to have 
> 4.19.0 in bookworm-
> backports or it will be 4.19.10.
> If you really want 4.19.0 on bookqworm or even bullseye *now* to try 
> freshest functionality,
> you can grab binaries from my repository - it has 4.19.0 since 
> yesterday.  Just don't forget
> to switch to bpo12 once version wanted by you is in there.
> /mjt
Hi Michael,

Thanks a lot for the information. I saw today that you had uploaded 
4.19.0 to Debian tracker.

I'm not adventurous, and I'm not particularly pressed to enter the 
Microsoft wolf's lair, so I'll wait until it feels comfortable to 
switch. However, I have got a test domain setup with 4.18.6, and will 
definitely try out 4.19.1 from your repo (when it's available).

Best regards,


More information about the samba mailing list