[Samba] PAM Offline Authentication in Ubuntu 22.04...

Kees van Vloten keesvanvloten at gmail.com
Wed May 31 09:25:37 UTC 2023

Op 31-05-2023 om 11:15 schreef Rowland Penny via samba:

> On 31/05/2023 10:05, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:
>

>> If I remember it correctly the issue I had was related to winbind_nss
>> no responding when offline / disconnected, so indeed not related to
>> kerberos.
>>
>> - Kees.
>>

> Indeed, I have now done this three times, on Debian 11 with lightdm,
> on Debian 11 with gdm3 and on Ubuntu 22.04 with gdm3. In all three
> cases, 'winbind offline logon' does what it says on the tin, it allows
> a user that has logged on previously to logon to a computer that is
> offline.
>
> If there are problems on a computer where a user is logged on when the
> internet connection goes down, then that is, in my opinion, nothing to
> do with winbind offline logon and needs further investigation.
>
> Rowland

I will deploy a laptop with debian 11 and kde + sddm shortly, so I can
check myself instead of referring to an issue in the past.

Disappearing internet or just disappearing network is not strange on
laptop, I can disconnect the lan without reconnecting to wifi or put it
in airplane mode, all without re-login. I can put the laptop to sleep
and wake it up with a different network environment (e.g. because I
moved to another location while it was a sleep).

In my opinion all of these scenarios should just work.

- Kees.