[Samba] PAM Offline Authentication in Ubuntu 22.04...

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue May 30 15:18:39 UTC 2023

> On 30/05/2023 09:57, Marco Gaiarin via samba wrote:
>> Mandi! Rowland Penny via samba
>>    In chel di` si favelave...

>> As just stated, i really doubt it is gnome or GDM the fault...
>>

>>> I give up with Ubuntu
>>
>> What was... ah, 'Debian': an ancient English word that mean: i was not
>> able
>> to install Ubuntu. ;-)
>>

> No, and yes
>
> Yes, I wasn't able to install Ubuntu.
>
> No, it means a better OS than Ubuntu, that can very easily be installed
> without all the rubbish that Ubuntu comes with nowadays. I feel that
> either Ubuntu has lost the plot or is trying to be the most
> incomprehensible system out there.
>
> Debian on the other hand is very easy to install and maintain and if you
> want some of the rubbish that is now default on Ubuntu, you can install
> it. Remember that Debian cannot be that bad, Ubuntu is based on it.
>
> If Ubuntu plus Gnome, plus gdm3, plus Samba doesn't work with winbind
> offline login
>
> But
>
> Debian plus Gnome, plus gdm3, plus Samba does work with winbind offline
> logon
>
> Then the problem surely has to be something to with Ubuntu.
>
> One final note, unless there are major changes at Ubuntu (which I do not
> expect), I will never use it again.
>
> Rowland

After struggling with yet another Ubuntu 22.04 install, I now think I
know the problem.

Is there anyway that Ubuntu can stop destroying the users kerberos
ticket in /tmp at logout ?
I am fairly sure it is required for winbind offline logon.

I still hate Ubuntu, especially the network set up.

Rowland