[Samba] Samba AD DC on FreeBSD

Andrea Venturoli ml at netfence.it
Wed May 24 10:00:57 UTC 2023

On 5/22/23 22:55, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

Hello and thanks for dedicating your time to this answer.

> If the basics work, I wouldn't expect any major issues, particularly if
> you keep the fileserver and DC roles distinct, as recommended.

Yes, I always run DC in a jail and FS in another jail.
(Occasionally I've had more than one DC and FS for different domains on
the same machine, but currently not).

> It it good to hear that things are working well for you on FreeBSD.
> The big challenge in this space is packaging

I though the big issue was patching...

> if you have the skills to
> help with the FreeBSD port then helping out there would make a massive
> difference.

I might help.
However I think Timur (the current port maintainer) is really making a
good job here. Of course, he is alone, so we don't usually get all
versions (e.g. we went from 4.13 to 4.16 and I don't believe there'll be
a 4.17), but unless he wants help with packaging, I think this would
mean duplicating work.
Again, there is more to "porting" (i.e. patching, testing, etc...) than
packaging.

> Both have a few, but not significant, platform-
> specific patches in the packages, but nothing major as far as I could
> see.

Uh?
A quick, probably imprecise, count shows around 170 hunks for FreeBSD
paches: a lot are build quirks, but there's also some patches dealing
with fundamental OS differences.

> The big thing I would say on FreeBSD is that sadly we can't on our
> Linux docker infrastructure test, or even cross-compile to, FreeBSD.
>
> It would be incredibly awesome if some work could be done in this area.
> Even small steps like adding Alpine Linux to our bootstrap system to
> get a non glibc build would be a start, then adding a cross-compile to

This would be very interesting, but unfortunately I don't know much
about this.
Can you provide some pointers to docs/wiki/bug reports I could read to
get an idea?

> Testing is harder.

:-(
Is there a way I could setup a FreeBSD system/jail/VM/whatever where I
would compile Samba and run regression tests on it?
That's something I already do for other softwares, like:
https://www.bacula.org/13.0.x-manuals/en/developers/Bacula_Regression_Testing.html

Of course I understand there are different roles, different clients and
a plethora of options, so this won't be easy, but it would help me much,
I think.

  bye & Thanks
	av.