[Samba] Upgrade from 4.6.7 to 4.17.4 fails with database problem (Failure during re-pack, so transaction must be aborted)

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 17 09:33:48 UTC 2023

On 17/05/2023 10:10, Ricardo Esteves via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an AD with samba 4.6.7

The latest Samba version is 4.18.2

> (compiled from sources) on

> Fedora 17

Fedora 17!
The latest version of Fedora is 38, 21 whole versions later.

> , and
> i tried to upgrade to 4.17.4, but the database upgrade fails.

I am not really surprised, I doubt that Fedora 17 has the required
package versions to build Samba 4.17.4 (where incidentally, the latest
version is 4.17.7)

I suggest you upgrade to Fedora 38 which, I believe, comes with Samba
packages that can be joined to your domain as a DC.

I would also suggest that you upgrade on a regular basis in future.

Rowland