[Samba] Joining Windows Server 2022 to Samba Domain

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed May 10 15:33:53 UTC 2023

On 10/05/2023 16:04, Dawson Greeley via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to join a Windows Server 2022 to an existing domain Im running into issues as I am trying to migrate away from Samba DCs (:sad:)
>
> I've been able to successfully join a Windows Server 2022 to a fresh domain without much trouble after following tranquil.it<https://samba.tranquil.it/doc/en/samba_advanced_methods/samba_add_windows_active_directory.html>'s guide as well as adding dsdb:schema update allowed=true​ to my /etc/samba/smb.conf​ on the domain controllers.

I didn't think this was possible, so I followed your link and the very
first thing I saw was a warning:

As of 2022-12-13, Samba-AD does not allow to join a MSAD 2016 or 2019.

Now, I know it doesn't mention 2022, but if you cannot join 2016 or
2019, then I doubt very much whether 2022 will either.

I know that there is extensive work going on at present to get to 2012
and then when that is finished, it should be fairly easy to get to 2016
and onwards, though I doubt if it will be this year.

Sorry

Rowland