[Samba] Joining Windows Server 2022 to Samba Domain

Dawson Greeley dgreeley at xes-inc.com
Wed May 10 15:04:44 UTC 2023

Hi,

I'm attempting to join a Windows Server 2022 to an existing domain Im running into issues as I am trying to migrate away from Samba DCs (:sad:)

I've been able to successfully join a Windows Server 2022 to a fresh domain without much trouble after following tranquil.it<https://samba.tranquil.it/doc/en/samba_advanced_methods/samba_add_windows_active_directory.html>'s guide as well as adding dsdb:schema update allowed=true​ to my /etc/samba/smb.conf​ on the domain controllers.

Unfortunately when attempting to join a Windows Server 2022 to the existing domain Im running into an issue with it applying sch75.ldf​ schema changes. The specific error is Insufficient Rights Ldap error code 50​ and goes on about saying that the join user being in both Enterprise & Schema admin groups should resolve this but the user is indeed in both groups.

In both my brand new domain and existing domains the following can be assumed:

Samba version 4.17
Domain Functional Level 2008 R2

Just looking on input/guidance of where to debug on this existing domain where it thinks it has insufficient permissions. I know both the samba wiki & tranquil.it only state this is possible with 2012 Windows DC's but I was able to get it working on a fresh instance and replication etc all seems to be working fine. Im looking to avoid needing to spin up an older version of Windows server to replicate from

TYIA,
Dawson