[Samba] Samba first time run

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Mar 27 15:47:20 UTC 2023

On 27/03/2023 16:23, William Edwards via samba wrote:

>> Op 27 mrt. 2023 om 17:14 heeft Lm Loge via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just installed samba (very carefully) from the sources on Debian 11.
>> 1. I installed the packages for libraries and utilities required to build and install Samba
>> (using "bootstrap_generated-dists_debian11_bootstrap.sh", downloaded from the "wiki.samba.org" website).
>> 2. I downloaded the sources (https://download.samba.org/pub/samba/stable/samba-4.18.0.tar.gz).
>> 3. After extracting the source package, I ran "configure", "make" and "make-install" which completed successfully.
>>
>> Now, when I run (as root) "/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba" nothing happens, really nothing.
>
> Do you mean ‘the program exits’ or ‘the program has no output’?

The OP has just built Samba and then tried to run the 'samba' binary,
without doing anything else. It is likely that there will be something
in the logs, but not much.

It is in the state that you would be in if you just installed a distros
Samba packages and did nothing else (though the distro may provide a
default smb.conf)

Rowland