[Samba] Samba first time run

Lm Loge lmloge at orange.fr
Mon Mar 27 16:26:35 UTC 2023

@RowlandPenny

And why not may I ask you?
All I'm doing is in the "wiki.samba.org" website pages (see link below
for example), can't it be trusted?
(If not, is there a reliable manual for Samba installation,
administration and use?)

I thought the "make install" command, installed something, as its name
indicates...
It's written in the wiki:
"To install Samba, run:
$ sudo make install"
(Source: https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Build_Samba_from_Source)

And, at the very end of the webpage just mentioned, you have the line:
"To manually start the Samba Active Directory (AD) domain controller
(DC) service, enter:
# systemctl start samba-ad-dc"
Which I did and which resulted in a failure (status=1/FAILURE).
(Of course, I created the systemd unit file beforehand.)

In this webpage, there is no such instruction as to provision the DC
before starting the Samba service.

So, I followed VERY CAREFULLY the instructions in this webpage and it
ended up with a failure.
(And, by the way, I also made a whole "tour" of the wiki which took me
quite some time.)

That's why I ended up trying to simply run "/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba",
just in case I would have done something wrong when creating the systemd
unit file (and with systemctl) as I'm not familiar with it.

I am just trying to understand the "Samba system", as well as I can and
at my level, because you know, every time I have to deal with Samba,
like every two or three years, it's a mess, a nightmare.
In 2018, we worked for nearly a whole month together to fix my setup, if
you remember.
But, no, you don't remember obviously, there are too many people you are
answering to here.
I know Samba is a free product but I really have tons of other things to
do for my work and I am not specialized in Samba, or AD.
In 2020, Van Belle, helped me, it took a lot less time, a couple of days.
But this year, I asked him for help directly and he didn't answer me
(which I understand by the way).

The way you are putting things is somehow unpleasant.
You shouldn't take advantage of the fact you are among the people who
"know" things.
--
Léa