[Samba] Samba first time run

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Mar 27 15:22:51 UTC 2023

On 27/03/2023 16:09, Lm Loge via samba wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just installed samba (very carefully) from the sources on Debian 11.
> 1. I installed the packages for libraries and utilities required to
> build and install Samba

Why ???
You can get very close to the latest Samba by installing Samba from
backports, this will get you 4.17.6

> (using "bootstrap_generated-dists_debian11_bootstrap.sh", downloaded
> from the "wiki.samba.org" website).
> 2. I downloaded the sources
> (https://download.samba.org/pub/samba/stable/samba-4.18.0.tar.gz).
> 3. After extracting the source package, I ran "configure", "make" and
> "make-install" which completed successfully.
>
> Now, when I run (as root) "/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba" nothing happens,
> really nothing.

It wouldn't.

> Given that the installation is brand new, I noticed there is no
> "/usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf" file.

There wouldn't be.

> I didn't provisioned that Samba AD DC.

Do you want to run Samba as an AD DC ?
If so, you are going to have provision Samba (which will create the
missing smb.conf)

> (I stricty just did what I mentioned above).
>
> Can Samba be started the way I am trying to?

No, you have just built Samba, now you have to configure it.

> Is it normal nothing happens?

After just building Samba, yes.

Rowland