[Samba] Samba first time run

Lm Loge lmloge at orange.fr
Mon Mar 27 15:09:54 UTC 2023

Hello,

I just installed samba (very carefully) from the sources on Debian 11.
1. I installed the packages for libraries and utilities required to
build and install Samba
(using "bootstrap_generated-dists_debian11_bootstrap.sh", downloaded
from the "wiki.samba.org" website).
2. I downloaded the sources
(https://download.samba.org/pub/samba/stable/samba-4.18.0.tar.gz).
3. After extracting the source package, I ran "configure", "make" and
"make-install" which completed successfully.

Now, when I run (as root) "/usr/local/samba/sbin/samba" nothing happens,
really nothing.

Given that the installation is brand new, I noticed there is no
"/usr/local/samba/etc/smb.conf" file.
I didn't provisioned that Samba AD DC.
(I stricty just did what I mentioned above).

Can Samba be started the way I am trying to?
Is it normal nothing happens?

Best regards.
--
Léa Massiot