[Samba] AD routine testing/verification

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Wed Jul 19 23:26:16 UTC 2023

[I did check the Wiki on this, but didn't find anything very definitive. So I'm asking here.]

I've used "samba-tool drs showrepl" as a check of replication across the AD structure. (We have three DC's, in this case.)

Generally I use that tool on a manual basis to make sure replication is working, say after an upgrade etc.

However, it would probably be good to check replication daily, perhaps even more often and generate alerts should we see errors.

Are there other checks that would be good to do too? [I also use "samba-tool dbcheck --cross-ncs" ]
And any suggestions on how often one might suggest doing them?

And I'll preemptively ask, do these checks return zero when they have no errors?
[If I automate these checks, knowing the proper return values would be good.]

TIA

-Greg