[Samba] Fwd: Copy ACL to samba domain member file server

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jul 19 09:17:40 UTC 2023

On 19/07/2023 09:57, Kees van Vloten via samba wrote:

> Op 18-07-2023 om 23:00 schreef Steffen Dettmer via samba:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a Debian 12 Container with Samba 4.17.9. Actually I wanted a
>> domain controller Windows 2012R2 to migrate to Samba, but according to
>> reading I had to downgrade to Windows Server 2008 first. I saw no way
>> and bought a Windows Server 2019 license. Now I would like to have at
>> least a file server with ACL support.
>>
>> I started with a fresh container and followed the Samba Wiki
>
> I am wondering about the word "container". As far as I know you need a
> privileged container for Samba to function properly.
>
> - Kees.

I wondered about that, but as Steffen went on to talk about a NAS, I
wasn't sure whether he was conflating 'NAS' with 'container', so worked
on that he was and commented on that assumption. However, if he is using
a 'container' (if so, what sort ?) then, yes, it should be a privileged
container.

Rowland