[Samba] Samba shares and samba server residing on different physical machines

E Kogler igoetrich at yahoo.de
Thu Jul 6 13:15:30 UTC 2023

 Well, I set up DNS in my network with two BIND9s external to samba residing on two boxes. One is my primary DNS for the network and one as a slave to it.When using the BIND9 backend you have to modify "named.conf " to include the "/usr/local/.../samba/../named.conf", my question is:since the slave BIND9-DNS server (for the network) retrieves its zone information (except 127.0.0.1 zone and root.hints) from the primary DNS  I have set up I am a little bit confused if the zone information the SAMBA 4.17 DC provides can be included to the slave BIND9 as described in the wiki.
To clarify the setup:
Machine        samba version    BIND9 role
majestix        4.9.x, (old)          primary DNS for the network
firix               4.17.8                 slave to majestix

Am Donnerstag, 6. Juli 2023 um 14:49:38 MESZ hat Rowland Penny via samba <samba at lists.samba.org> Folgendes geschrieben:

On 06/07/2023 13:12, E Kogler via samba wrote:
>  Finally I have time to install samba 4.17.8 on my new machine.The join was successful, but there's a new question popping up:
> I want to use BIND9 backend  for DNS but the new machine is running a slave-DNS.Can I follow the steps in the wiki as if it was my primary DNS ?
> Edgar

Hi Edgar, unless you are doing something wrong, I think you may be
misunderstanding a Samba domain and DNS.

Every Samba AD DC runs a a dns server, this could be the built in dns
server or Bind9. You refer to 'slave-DNS', but there are no 'slaves' in
Samba AD, like Microsoft AD, all dns servers running on a DC are
masters, this is known as 'multi-master'. As all the dns records are
stored in AD, you just setup the dns server the same on all DC's.

Any further questions, please ask.

Rowland