[Samba] Samba shares and samba server residing on different physical machines

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Thu Jul 6 12:48:07 UTC 2023

On 06/07/2023 13:12, E Kogler via samba wrote:
>   Finally I have time to install samba 4.17.8 on my new machine.The join was successful, but there's a new question popping up:
> I want to use BIND9 backend  for DNS but the new machine is running a slave-DNS.Can I follow the steps in the wiki as if it was my primary DNS ?
> Edgar

Hi Edgar, unless you are doing something wrong, I think you may be
misunderstanding a Samba domain and DNS.

Every Samba AD DC runs a a dns server, this could be the built in dns
server or Bind9. You refer to 'slave-DNS', but there are no 'slaves' in
Samba AD, like Microsoft AD, all dns servers running on a DC are
masters, this is known as 'multi-master'. As all the dns records are
stored in AD, you just setup the dns server the same on all DC's.

Any further questions, please ask.

Rowland