[Samba] need help to find bug

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jul 3 14:43:45 UTC 2023

On 03/07/2023 14:11, Илья Коскин wrote:
> If you insist that it is the expected output, then we have a bug in
> all linux distributions. All of them!
> For example this is latest fedora:
> [kasak at kasakoff ~]$ smbclient -N -L localhost
>
> Sharename       Type      Comment
> ---------       ----      -------
> print$          Disk      Printer Drivers
> share           Disk
> IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.18.3)
> SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available
> [kasak at kasakoff ~]$ smbclient -V
> Version 4.18.3
>
> And this is arch linux:
> servicedesk% smbclient -N -L localhost
>
> Sharename       Type      Comment
> ---------       ----      -------
> IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba 4.18.2)
> SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available
> servicedesk% smbclient -V
> Version 4.18.2

And this is 4.18.3 on a Ubuntu 22.04 VM:

adminuser at ubugdm:~$ smbclient -NL localhost
Anonymous login successful

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	---------       ----      -------
	testshare       Disk
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Client ubugdm)
	nobody          Disk      Home Directories
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

With a domain user & password:

adminuser at ubugdm:~$ smbclient -L localhost -U rowland
Password for [SAMDOM\rowland]:

	Sharename       Type      Comment
	testshare       Disk
	IPC$            IPC       IPC Service (Samba Client ubugdm)
	rowland         Disk      Home Directories
SMB1 disabled -- no workgroup available

I cannot see a real problem here, both just show that the homes share is
setup, even if one can never be used.
By all means, if you think this is really a bug, open a bug report, but
be prepared for it to take a long time (if ever) to get fixed.

Rowland