[Samba] Upgrading from Samba 4.8.2 to 4.15.5

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Tue Jan 31 05:51:25 UTC 2023

On 1/30/2023 8:29 AM, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:
> 30.01.2023 06:14, Mark Foley via samba пишет:
> [,,]
>> 2. Let's say I get the new DC up and joined (I'll name it DC1), and I
>> transfer FSMO roles and demote the old DC (named MAIL). Does
>> transferring FSMO roles automatically fix-up Group Policies? For
>> example, the "Folder Redirection" group policy specifies "Root Path:
>> \\mail.hprs.local\Users". Would that get changed to
>> "dc1.hprs.local\Users" or would I have to manually change any GPOs,
>> etc. to reflect the new master DC's CN host?
>
> Do not store regular files on a DC.  The file server functions of
> samba DC are
> different and works differently from a regular samba fileserver (be it
> a member
> of a domain or not).
>
> You have to have *another* server to store user files, and point your
> Root Path to that.

I don't think Redirected Folders are the same as Samba shares. They are
somehow managed via Windows Group Policies  via GPO > Edit > User
Configuration > Policies > Windows Settings > Folder Redirection. There
is some information on this in
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_a_Share_Using_Windows_ACLs,
which I reference in my own how-to documentation. These have been
working OK for all domain users/workstations for the past 8 years. When
we've had to install new Windows workstations for users the redirected
desktop pops right up after joining the domain. Also, if the user logs
in on some other computer in the office, their desktop follows them.
Seems to work.

BTW - I do have another Linux server for the Network Attached Storage,
and it is a domain member which lets domain users map its shares without
entering credentials.