[Samba] Upgrading from Samba 4.8.2 to 4.15.5

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Mon Jan 30 14:29:13 UTC 2023

On 30/01/2023 13:29, Michael Tokarev via samba wrote:
> 30.01.2023 06:14, Mark Foley via samba пишет:
> [,,]
>> 2. Let's say I get the new DC up and joined (I'll name it DC1), and I
>> transfer FSMO roles and demote the old DC (named MAIL). Does
>> transferring FSMO roles automatically fix-up Group Policies? For
>> example, the "Folder Redirection" group policy specifies "Root Path:
>> \\mail.hprs.local\Users". Would that get changed to
>> "dc1.hprs.local\Users" or would I have to manually change any GPOs,
>> etc. to reflect the new master DC's CN host?
>
> Do not store regular files on a DC.  The file server functions of samba
> DC are
> different and works differently from a regular samba fileserver (be it a
> member
> of a domain or not).
>
> You have to have *another* server to store user files, and point your
> Root Path to that.
>
> /mjt

Whilst I would agree that using a Unix domain member is better as a
fileserver, this isn't because the fileserver functions are different on
a DC, they are exactly the same. A DC and a Unix domain member both use
the same fileserver daemon 'smbd', what is different is the idmap
backend and the one that a DC uses is configured towards Windows and
hence you have to set the permissions on a Windows machine.

Rowland