[Samba] Setting/Showing minimum password length > 14

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Jan 24 20:03:14 UTC 2023

On Tue, 2023-01-24 at 14:44 -0500, Mark Foley via samba wrote:
> Our Homeland Security CISA advisor has advised setting our Windows
> domain passwords to a 16
> character minumum as, according to her, pw lengths 14 or less are
> easily cracked but 16+ are
> extremely difficult.
>
> I was able to set the Windows Group Policy minimum password length to
> 16 characters, but when I
> do 'samba-tool domain passwordsettings show' it still shows Minimum
> password length: 8.
>
> The min=16 seems to work when Windows users change their passwords,
> but why is this not
> reflected in samba-tool? My Samba version is 4.8.2. Is that too old
> for this attribute?

On a version that old, bad passwords are the least of your concerns.
;-)

Newer versions can interpret the group policy values, as I understand
it (look at David Mulder's work) but the traditional way to set these
is via 'samba-tool domain passwordsettings set' which is supported and
enforced.

Andrew Bartlett

Solutions