[Samba] Samba server options for serving Windows NT4 clients

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Tue Jan 24 15:33:47 UTC 2023

On 24/01/2023 15:00, Peter Milesson via samba wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have got the unenviable task of replacing an old samba server for a
> machine group, where some of the machine controllers still use Windows
> NT4. The rest of the controllers are Windows XP (probably SP1). As long
> as the controllers work, nobody is going to replace them, as new
> controllers cost a fortune. So, I'm stuck with what I have got.
>
> Just for those who like to point out the bad security: The network is a
> closed one, it's not accessible from anywhere else. Also, the new server
> will only be accessible for administration purposes over a separate VLAN
> interface. So no firewalls or similar stuff getting in the way.
>
> There is no need for browsing, as there is only one file server in the
> local network, and drive mapping will be explicit (IP-address, not
> name). There is no communication between the machines in the group.

Who ever thought it was a good idea to embed a computer into a very
expensive piece of equipment was either a genius or very stupid. A
genius if the equipment was scrapped and replaced when the computer
became a security risk, so it was a new sale, or stupid when the
computer became a security risk. My moneys on stupid.

Going off at a tangent, my feeling is that anything that starts with
'smart' isn't.

smart motorways: people get killed on them
smart TV's, after a few years they stop getting supported and then can
only be used as TV's (without the internet)
You can buy smart washing machines, why ? OK, you can start it from the
other side of the planet, but you have to be stood in front of it to
load or unload it and they all have control buttons.

I think you will have guessed that I don't like these things, in most
cases there is no point to them.

> Which is the latest Samba version I can use?

Officially 4.17.4 , but you are going to have to set it up correctly.

> Can I disable nmbd?

No, you are going to need it.

> Can I disable Netbios in the Samba server?

That is basically the same thing as disabling nmbd, so the answer is no.

Just 'sandbox' the things on their own network and transfer data by usb
drives or floppies (I bet they all have floppy drives).

Rowland