[Samba] Samba server options for serving Windows NT4 clients

Peter Milesson miles at atmos.eu
Tue Jan 24 15:00:04 UTC 2023

Hi folks,

I have got the unenviable task of replacing an old samba server for a
machine group, where some of the machine controllers still use Windows
NT4. The rest of the controllers are Windows XP (probably SP1). As long
as the controllers work, nobody is going to replace them, as new
controllers cost a fortune. So, I'm stuck with what I have got.

Just for those who like to point out the bad security: The network is a
closed one, it's not accessible from anywhere else. Also, the new server
will only be accessible for administration purposes over a separate VLAN
interface. So no firewalls or similar stuff getting in the way.

There is no need for browsing, as there is only one file server in the
local network, and drive mapping will be explicit (IP-address, not
name). There is no communication between the machines in the group.

Which is the latest Samba version I can use?

Can I disable nmbd? Can I disable Netbios in the Samba server?

Best regards,

Peter