[Samba] Files suddenly go readonly

Rowland Penny rpenny at samba.org
Wed Jan 18 16:53:30 UTC 2023

On 18/01/2023 16:38, Greg Dickie via samba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Running samba 4.10.16 on CentOS7. It's a fileserver but with a split
> personality. For everything UNIX authentication is NIS (I know ;-) but for
> samba we authenticate to AD and all users have the same uidNumber &
> gidNumber as they do in NIS.

The problem is, you shouldn't have any local users if you are running
the computer as a domain member, Samba should be 'mapping' the AD users
to Unix users.

Is it possible to see your smb.conf used on the Unix machines ?

This has been working fine but now I have some
> users who suddenly lose write access to their files, sometimes. One user
> has 2 workstations (1 works always, the other exhibits this issue so maybe
> a patch on the workstation?). When this happens IF I give their files group
> write permission they are good again. Does this ring a bell? I have a level
> 10 debug of an ACCESS_DENIED test but nothing in there looks obviously
> wrong until the ACCESS_DENIED so I can't see why.

Are they supposed to have 'user' permissions or just 'group'
permissions, also are you using extended ACL's ?

> Tried to rebuild a newer samba version but CentOS seems to not like it.

I noticed :-D

> Any thoughts?

What on ? Life, the universe and everything ? If so the answer is '42'

Rowland