[Samba] Files suddenly go readonly

Greg Dickie greg at justaguy.ca
Wed Jan 18 16:38:34 UTC 2023

Hi,

Running samba 4.10.16 on CentOS7. It's a fileserver but with a split
personality. For everything UNIX authentication is NIS (I know ;-) but for
samba we authenticate to AD and all users have the same uidNumber &
gidNumber as they do in NIS. This has been working fine but now I have some
users who suddenly lose write access to their files, sometimes. One user
has 2 workstations (1 works always, the other exhibits this issue so maybe
a patch on the workstation?). When this happens IF I give their files group
write permission they are good again. Does this ring a bell? I have a level
10 debug of an ACCESS_DENIED test but nothing in there looks obviously
wrong until the ACCESS_DENIED so I can't see why.

Tried to rebuild a newer samba version but CentOS seems to not like it.

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Greg

--