[Samba] Unable to add Point and Print printers to clients with Windows 8.1 and up

Stefan Kania stefan at kania-online.de
Tue Feb 28 08:04:57 UTC 2023

Hi Thomas

Am 27.02.23 um 23:10 schrieb Thomas Keppler:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> thanks for the idea! Indeed, I didn't have the third GPO[1] of the bunch, just the two present in the Samba Wiki.
> However, applying the third to the client doesn't change the situation.
>
> I've also resorted to use a Domain Admin and Local Admin account to conduct these tests to rule out any permission problems in the first place.

Did you "disable" the the GPO! Normaly you set GPOs to "enable" to set
what the GPO should do, here it must be "disabled" What I also noticed,
not all printer drivers are working :-( When I set up a prnit server in
my classes I only uses a PCL6 driver. I know that it's nearly impossible
to get Lexmark printers working. So maybe you try a standard driver to
see if the problem is the driver and not your settings. I did a tutorial
on 2021 SambaXP about printserver setup
https://www.kania-online.de/veroeffentlichungen/
search for SambaXP 2021
There you can download my Vagrant setup and the driver I'm using is also
included. But it was before printnightmare so the GPO no.3 is not there,
but everything else works, just add the third GPO