[Samba] Missing Files/Missing Folders from an NFS Share

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Feb 17 01:41:54 UTC 2023

On Fri, Feb 17, 2023 at 12:40:25AM +0100, Conor Armstrong wrote:
>   Ok, starting to make sense now.  In order to fix it....
>   I note that the lower level calls are wrapped in dir.c - eg
>   dptr_SeekDir(...) wraps SeekDir(...)
>   this might allow for some code to use array indexes instead of NFS cookies
>   as noted by Chris Chilvers here for the 3.10 kernel:
>   [1]https://lore.kernel.org/all/CAAmbk-e-YQAPo6QyNB0aJyc9qzUShmEC+x5eTR7wqp1ABWADsg@mail.gmail.com/T/

First I think we need to understand how broken telldir()/seekdir()
is over NFS in this case. Do they work at all ? An alternate fix
would be to change Samba to store the previously read filename
on the STATUS_MORE_ENTRIES case (we've run out of return space)
and then when the enumeration starts again use that stored
filename, rather than doing the SeekDir() to move back to
the just read entry preparing for the next round.