[Samba] long delays with file enumeration & listing in large data storage environment

CaptainTrips28 captaintrips28 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 9 16:08:28 UTC 2023

After reviewing all feedback and implementing a test box based on RHEL 9.1
(kernel 5.14.0) with Samba 4.17.5 (I had to build it from latest source as
Redhat repos only had upto 4.16.4), and with latest version of
PBIS/ADBridge (22.3.x.x), we are now seeing enumeration/listing times of
near instantaneous to no more than a couple seconds on the same set of the
31k junk test data count

I also took the recommendations to review the options and naming formats
per line basis in the smb.conf and make sure they were in line with the
suggestions.

We are still testing but thus far as it is an extremely positive outcome
for something that has been causing us a headache well over a year now.

I will update with my revised smb.conf in a more detailed breakdown of the
configuration steps and testing scenario here soon. This is awesome! Thank
you!