[Samba] Samba share not quite working on Domain Controller

Mark Foley mfoley at novatec-inc.com
Mon Dec 18 02:18:52 UTC 2023

I believe I have successfully joined a Windows domain member, migrated a domain
user, created the 'Redirected Folders' directory and Group Policy and restored
the domain user's redirected folders. This is a wrap up for anyone needing the
same in the future.

I used the ForensiT Transwiz program to migrate the domain user to the new DC
and also join the Windows workstation to the domain.  My only snag here was that
I had to point the Windows DNS explicitly to the DC.  Left to itself, it found
the Internet facing router and tried to use that for the domain DNS.  Didn't work.

Otherwise, that all worked except in my case I changed the AD domain name from
mail.hprs.local to dc1.hprs.locl.  Unfortunately, Transwiz does not modify
Registry entries to rename reference to mail.hprs.local and hprs.local to
dc1.hprs.locl and hprs.locl, respectively.

I stated down the futile path of trying to find and modify registry entries
using regedit. Don't do that, waste of time. there are likely hundreds of such
registry entries.

I downloaded and installed RegistryFinder, https://registry-finder.com, which
can edit the Registry and has a find/replace function. That took seconds to run
once installed.

The last thing I needed to do was to restore my backed-up User directory to
/redirectedFolders/Users on the new DC.  The UID/GID's were different on the old
DC so I restored to a new user folder, did a chmod -R to all the restored
files/directories, then cp -ar them all to the correct User directory.

Done! Everything showed up just fine on the user's Desktop, Favorites and 'My
Documents'.

--Mark