[Samba] LAPS Support

Ingo Asche foren at asche-rz.de
Wed Dec 13 19:30:28 UTC 2023

Hi Andrew,

thought something like that. At least without encryption it works, like
the legacy one.

Here are my quickly written notes of what I did:

Prerequisites:
Samba 4.19.x (At the moment Debian 12 "Bookworm" with Samba 4.19.3 from
backports)
Domainfunctional level 2016 set according to history from 4.19.0

What have I done:
On DC with FSMO add in smb.conf in [Global]
dsdb:schema update allowed=true
Restart samba-ad-dc service
Add administrator to Schema Admins group

Open Powershell window with admin rights and administrator account
Run Update-LapsADSchema cmdlet and follow the instructions for adding
the schema extensions
After procedure clear Schema Admins group

GPO:
For the GPO you have to copy the actual LAPS.admx and LAPS.adml from
%windir%\PolicyDefinitions\LAPS.admx to your GPO central store.

You find then the LAPS settings under Computer Configuration >
Administrative Templates > System > LAPS

I have set in my GPO to
PasswordLength: 28
PasswordAgeDays: 30
PostAuthenticationResetDelay: 24
PostAuthenticationActions: Reset password
PasswordComplexity: 4 (Large letters + small letters + numbers + special
character)
ADPasswordEncryptionEnabled: Disabled

You can check in the events logs if all is working and in "AD-Users and
Computers" you should in LAPS tab entries for password etc.

See also:
https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/laps/laps-overview

Regards
Ingo