[Samba] Rebasing a 4.11 windows build to current Samba.

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Dec 7 21:12:51 UTC 2023

On Thu, 2023-12-07 at 19:22 +0000, David Bean via samba wrote:
> I have a semi working 32-bit build of Samba 4.11.0 for Windows based
> on a patched Cygwin 2.5.2 build. I wondered if anyone knows where a
> set of DIF files to move it from release 4.11.0 to the latest stable
> release of 4.19.x (or through each intervening release to that point)
> could be obtained. I would like to apply changes incrementally to
> this build to avoid breaking the current work I have in place, and a
> set of DIF files seems like a good alternative.
> Dave Bean

Samba is version controlled in "git" so every change is there.  We used
to publish diffs between releases, but they are really not useful for
what you want.

What I suggest is that you have a go at applying the same changes for
your "semi working 32-bit build for Windows" to current Samba, and then
focus on fixing what breaks.  The build system and the things you need
are not likely to have changed that much.

Or, use a 'git bisect', applying your fixes after each bisection point,
and see how ever you can come before it stops working.

In the long term, I think the best hope for Windows binaries are via a
cross-compile with mingw on Linux, because while cross-compilation of
Samba sucks, we already use that to build the uploaded winexe binary,
and we could possibly accept such a change upstream and have it run in
CI, whereas a 'build on windows' approach would never be able to be
tested.

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett (he/him)       https://samba.org/~abartlet/Samba Team Member (since 2001) https://samba.orgSamba Team Lead                https://catalyst.net.nz/services/sambaCatalyst.Net Ltd
Proudly developing Samba for Catalyst.Net Ltd - a Catalyst IT group